Saturday, August 28, 2010

Our Story

Hubby and I met 7 years ago (wow, that's hard to believe!) while I was senior in high school and he was waiting for a spot to open for him at boot camp. I'm the classic overachiever and decided my senior year I was going to start taking classes at the local community college, and dear hubby was taking classes to pass the time until he left for basic training.

We dated casually until he left. It wasn't until we were at the place to drop him off that I realized how much I was going to miss him. Over the next few months I stalked the mailman for my once a week letters and wrote to him constantly. I even got a few phone calls thrown in there :) I begged and pleaded with my dad to let me go to his graduation, instead of going to my prom, and after a few phone calls with his parents he relented. It was the most amazing experience ever. To see all those young men and women getting ready to dedicate their lives to the service of our country makes me tear up just thinking about it.

After the graduation weekend we knew we were serious about one another. However; as I was preparing to begin my freshman year of college in Norfolk, VA, he was moving to Pensacola, FL for training. Over that summer and 1,000 phone calls we decided to get married. Yes we talked it through, made lists of the pros and cons ect. Not the most romantic thing in the world but that's just us. Then late that summer my dad had accompanied me to Pensacola for a visit and he officially proposed in the Sonic Drive Up! We have had many laughs over his choice of location when beautiful Pensacola Beach was only a short walk away.

May 28, 2005 I married my best friend and had my first taste of being a military wife. There are no guarantees on them being anywhere at any specific time as the frantic bride found out when he almost missed the rehearsal the night before our wedding. His first deployment shortly followed, but aside from that and other 'typical' Navy separations we had an uneventful first few years of marriage.

Then 2 weeks before I was to receive my Bachelor's degree I found out we were expecting! We were both elated. Our daughter was born August 2, 2008; however, had a series of unexpected complications that caused her to be admitted to a NICU across town where she could get the treatment she needed. This was a very traumatic experience for us both, but I discovered that instead of pulling apart and placing blame we drew closer together and our faith that God was in control and would see us through. She's doing remarkable now. She's still not out of the woods completely but considering that we were initially told if she made it the first three days she would probably live, we feel that each day is a blessing.

Two shorts weeks after her NICU release hubby left for a second deployment, this one much harder because we had a child. Once he got home we left immediately for our next duty station, sunny Florida! We found a great church family, and had a second child, a little boy. With all that settling, plus being able to expect him home at night, we've developed a level of complacency. We're in a good routine and we've relaxed into a rut.

That's where The Husband Project comes in. While we are both in the same rut, I'm the only person whose actions I can control. I can't wait to see where God leads me in this endeavor and what lessons I learn in the process!

As for today I didn't get up until after my amazing husband had left to take our daughter to Gymboree. It was so nice to sleep in a little since Bug has hit a growth spurt and is nursing around the clock. Perhaps it had something to do with my putting in a little more effort the past few days? Instead of lounging in bed though I hopped up and got my hair done, make up applied, and dressed. That's usually more than I accomplish all day and I felt wonderful about myself all day!

Tomorrow my father-in-law, the kiddos, and I are going on a road trip to pick up my mother-in-law from New Orleans while dear hubby stays here to study. I'm planning on going ahead and prepping him some of his favorite snacks and ensuring he has lots of sharp pencils and clean paper to take advantage of his newly organized workspace!

No comments:

Post a Comment