Friday, August 27, 2010

It's Official!!

September 7th is my start date for The Husband Project! Between family coming into town and a preplanned Labor Day holiday I've decided that I'm going to wait until we're back into our normal routine. Plus I need some time to put some thought and effort into my first week of projects. Until then I'm continuing to look for ways to bless my husband on a daily basis.

Going along with that, I've decided to compile a list of books (both Christan and non-Christian) that have inspired me along the way. I'm a bit of a self-help book junkie :)



This is the first 'marriage' book I read once we were married. Great ideas and insights on things we do as women that we don't even realize we're doing. I'm still working on adapting some of these principals in my life.











This book was gifted to my husband and I during our engagement by my wonderful Mother-in-law. Not only does it cover money, but it also covers various aspects of personality and getting along with conflicting personalities. As my soon-to-be husband and I were reading this we just kept nodding because the personality tests included in it pinpointed us so well. Fabulous Christian book for both married and engaged couples.







Another great Christian book on marriage. This one is written all about men and is very soundly researched, there is also a companion book called For Men Only that is written by Shaunti and her husband. There are many different ways you can use this book in your marriage. My husband and I decided to switch so we were each reading the book about our own gender, as we read we highlighted important notes, wrote in the margins and used it to reinforce how we felt so that when we read each others book it was like a personalized book on each other.






While Dr. Laura can be controversial I think she has some great points and insight into what make marriage and family work. I enjoyed both of these books and go back to them when I need a little kick in the pants!









While this isn't a book specifically focused on marriage, most couples that divorce within the first seven years attribute it to money fights and money problems. This is a great no-nonsense book on getting your financial life straight from a Christian, common sense point of view. Including how to work with one another when it comes to money. Hubby and I like Dave Ramsey so much we facilitate his Financial Peace University course at our church.







We read this book together during a pre-marital course on communication we took. Again this is a great book to give insight on one another and how to connect by using the 'love language' of your partner. For me what I found most important was discovering hubby's love language so I can recognize when he is trying to show me that he loves me, even though he isn't speaking my language. For men and women it's kind of like a translation book if you're in a foreign county, because sometimes that's what marriage feels like!






This book I haven't personally read. However; I've seen the movie Fireproof which is based on this book and it brings me to tears every time. Perhaps when I have completed The Husband Project I will take on The Love Dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment